Monday, June 4, 2007

Loco for loco pops

Yesterday and today. Part 1.
When I was 5 and 6 years old I favored orange and cherry popsicles (Sealtest I think) from Kiper's Store. Six cents. Kipers was on our walk from the driving range, where we'd pick up golf balls every Saturday morning (15 cents for a small basket, 25 for a big one), to home on Central Avenue in Leitchfield, KY. Orange was probably my favorite. Fast forward to today. Sealtest has been replaced by Locopops, which started in Durham and now has a second small store in Chapel Hill. They serve up homemade paletas (Mexican style popsicles) of all kinds--blueberry and honeydew, mojito, mango chile, etc. Smalls are $1.50 and big ones are $2.25 (I think). Last night I had a small cucumber chile. J had a blueberry cinnamon, which was supposed to be blueberry honeydew until the guys inadvertently put too much cinnamon in the batch. Very strong and spicy and very good. The cucumber chile was also remarkably good. Next time I am going to try their version of the fudgesicle. They are crazy good.

No comments: